cinfo ricerca Global Technical Specialist ricerca P3
The International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) is an international financial institution and a specialized United Nations agency dedicated to eradicating rural poverty and hunger. It does so by investing in rural people. IFAD finances programmes and projects that increase agricultural productivity and raise rural incomes, and advocates at the local, national and international level for policies that contribute to rural transformation.
Post's organizational accountability
The Strategy and Knowledge Department (SKD) provides expert guidance on IFAD's strategic direction, thematic priorities and technical quality of IFAD's operations. It plays a critical role in providing technical expertise to operational teams to enhance development effectiveness, by generating and disseminating IFAD's development knowledge and evidence on strategic themes, and encouraging innovative application of cutting-edge global knowledge and evidence in IFAD investments to support countries tackle their most complex development challenges in fostering inclusive and sustainable rural transformation. SKD is composed of the (i) Environment, Climate, Gender and Social Inclusion Division (ECG); the (ii) Sustainable Production, Markets and Institutions Division (PMI); and the (iii) Research and Impact Assessment Division (RIA).
The Sustainable Production, markets and Institutions Division (PMI) provides technical support to IFAD Country Programs to ensure the proper application of corporate quality standards required for achieving development results and impact in key thematic areas, including food production systems (i.e. fisheries, livestock, and agronomy), natural resources management, renewable energy and rural infrastructure, financial services, rural markets and enterprises and rural institutions. It contributes to the generation of knowledge on these themes, and facilitates their use in IFAD projects and activities.
The Global Technical Specialist - Rural infrastructure and Renewable Energy works under the overall strategic, policy and management guidance, and supervision of the Lead Global Technical Specialist for Water and Rural Infrastructure. S/he works collaboratively with the thematic Technical Specialists, Country Directors (CDs) and other staff to ensure consistency, cohesion and synergy in the application of technical advice and provision of programme development support.
Key results expected / Major functional activities
1. TECHNICAL ADVICE TO COUNTRY PROGRAMMES: Based on a planning exercise undertaken jointly between Project Management Department (PMD) and SKD, and working in close collaboration with the CDs, the Global Technical Specialist - Rural infrastructure and Renewable Energy provides targeted technical advice and support in rural infrastructure and renewable energy to selected country programmes across the globe, with a particular focus on Africa. This includes participating in project delivery teams and missions to provide technical support in the following:
- Preparation of project designs, to ensure renewable energy options are considered and used.
- Leading and contributing to supervision/implementation support to ongoing projects
- Organizing and/or contributing to training and/or capacity building activities related to infrastructure and renewable energy
- Peer review in corporate quality enhancement and assurance processes to ensure adherence to quality standards and policies.
- Contribute to the drafting of concept notes, project design reports, and project completion reports
- Sponsor or co-sponsor grants in infrastructure and renewable energy applications for rural transformation
- Promote inclusion of renewable energy technologies in ongoing projects, promotion of public-private-partnerships and innovative financing and management models in renewable energy
2. POLICY ENGAGEMENT AND PARTNERSHIPS: The Global Technical Specialist - Rural infrastructure and Renewable Energy develops and maintains a network of peer contacts and partners outside IFAD to keep abreast of recent developments and trends and supports brokering of partnerships to enhance the Fund's profile as a highly competent and viable partner in development. Specifically, on the basis of her/his thematic expertise and skills and working closely with the Country Directors, the Global Technical Advisors at headquarters, the Lead Regional Economists and the Technical Advisors on policy engagement in the Project Management Department Front Office, S/he contributes to the development of relevant technical policies and strategies in rural infrastructure development, renewable energy, building on the knowledge generated from IFAD's loans and grants.
Specifically, accountabilities will include:
- recommendation of relevant approaches to the country/divisional strategies and programmes
- Supports strategic technical partnerships with relevant organizations, centers of excellence, research institutions, and thematic platforms around the world.
3. KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT: The Global Technical Specialist - Rural infrastructure and Renewable Energy contributes to knowledge management activities related to rural infrastructure and renewable energy. This includes systematizing and disseminating knowledge, good practices and innovations generated through IFAD loans and grants across the globe, through specific knowledge products, toolkits, guidelines and learning events. S/he maintains a global network of peer contacts and partners outside IFAD to facilitate brokering of information and knowledge exchanges. S/he also builds and/or maintains communities of practice as well as roster of qualified/certified consultants in rural infrastructure and energy.
4. CORPORATE ACTIVITIES: The Global Technical Specialist - Rural infrastructure and Renewable Energy provides targeted advice in rural infrastructure and renewable energy for the development of corporate initiatives/instruments, renewable energy policies, procedures, including leading corporate task forces as required, particularly relating to their area of technical expertise, including contributing to shaping operational policies, IFAD position papers and technical working groups as required.
5. MANAGERIAL FUNCTIONS: The Global Technical Specialist is accountable for integrity, transparency, and equity in the management of IFAD resources. This includes, among others, people management through support to recruitment of consultants and technical leadership/capacity development, coaching and mentoring of new and/or more junior staff.
Impact of Key results / Key performance indicators
Assignments require the provision of technical expertise in the areas of Rural infrastructure and Renewable Energy. The impact of work by the incumbent directly affects country programmes and contributes to regional and corporate policy and strategy. The impact on the overall IFAD country and regional programmes is significant in projecting the Fund's role/capacity as a reliable, viable partner in development. The Global Technical Specialist also selects and provides oversight of external consultants, participates as expert in field missions and in the servicing of intergovernmental and expert group meetings of a technical nature.
The Global Technical Specialist thus exercises independence and initiative in assessing needs and advising governments when on field mission. Established methods and procedures are adapted as necessary in order to achieve desired results.
Trovaci su facebook
Representation / Work relationships
The work relationships of Global Technical Specialist - Rural infrastructure and Renewable Energy involves the provision of technical advice and the negotiation and resolution of problems that arise in technical project design and appraisal, supervision/implementation support and in the preparation of studies and reports. S/He serves as an expert in rural infrastructure and renewable energy and works with full technical independence in the provision of technical expertise and methodological guidance at the country level, as well as regionally as required. Contacts are with counterparts and senior officials within other United Nations organizations having related programmes and with officials of governments, non-governmental and intergovernmental organizations, research institutes and academia.
In servicing intergovernmental bodies, expert groups and other meetings, the Global Technical Specialist provides technical expertise and recommendations for policy formulation and official conclusions in a consultative and Specialist capacity; s/he also may provide information regarding the organization's policies, and act as the representative of the organization. Maintain contacts to identify and evaluate emerging developments.
- Strategic thinking and organizational development: Personal influence (Level 1)
- Demonstrating Leadership: Leads by example; initiates and supports change (Level 2)
- Learning, sharing knowledge and innovating: Challenges, innovates andcontributes to a learning culture (Level 2)
- Focusing on clients: Contributes to a client-focused culture (Level 2)
- Problem solving and decision making: Solves complex problems and makes decisions that have wider corporate impact (Level 2)
- Managing time, resources and information: Coordinates wider use of time, information and/or resources (Level 2)
- Team Work: Fosters a cohesive team environment (Level 2)
- Communicating and negotiating: Acquires and uses a wide range of communication styles and skills (Level 2)
- Building relationships and partnerships: Builds and maintains strategic partnerships internally and externally (Level 2)
- Managing performance and developing staff: Manages staff and teams effectively (Level 1)
- Strong technical experience in RETs applied in agriculture sector.
- Proven experience analyzing best practices and developing case studies and training.
- Authoritative technical expertise at the country and regional level in area of specialization.
- Skill in the design and coordination of technical research and identification of innovative solutions to emerging issues.
- Ability to share technical guidance/knowledge at the governmental and peer levels as well as to inspire more junior specialists and programme staff in the development of viable programme activities.
Minimum recruitment qualifications
- Advanced university degree from an accredited institution in renewable energy and/or Agriculture engineering, Rural or Civil Engineering, Mechanical/electrical Engineering or related fields.
- At least 5 years of operationally relevant experience in infrastructure/renewable energy projects, of which at least 2 of the 5 years of experience should be at the international level. Proven track record of field-based experience in designing and implementing infrastructure and/or renewable energy projects linked to agriculture and rural development. Experience in international policy frameworks related to renewable energy and experience in applying safeguards of MDBs in the context of infrastructure projects are significant assets
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and French. Working knowledge of another official language (Arabic, or Spanish) is highly desirable.
Applicants should note that IFAD staff members are international civil servants subject to the authority of the President of IFAD. In accordance with IFAD's Human Resources Policy, staff members are subject to the authority of the President who can decide to assign them to any of the activities of the Fund. All International Professional staff members are required to be geographically mobile and positions in the professional category are subject to changes in location at any time in line with strategic priorities and reform initiatives in IFAD.
In the interest of making most cost effective use of funds and resources, we are only able to respond to applicants who are short-listed for interview. Candidates who do not receive any feedback within three months should consider their application unsuccessful
Candidates may be required to take a written test and to deliver a presentation as well as participate in interviews.