cinfo ricerca ricerca P2
This is a co-terminus position fully financed with supplementary fund. Contract renewal depends on the fund availability and/or duration of the project. There is no expectation of renewal or conversion into another kind of contract.
The International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) is an international financial institution and a specialized United Nations agency dedicated to eradicating rural poverty and hunger. It does so by investing in rural people. IFAD finances programmes and projects that increase agricultural productivity and raise rural incomes, and advocates at the local, national and international level for policies that contribute to rural transformation.
Post's organizational accountability
The Strategy and Knowledge Department (SKD) provides expert guidance on IFAD's strategic direction and thematic priorities and enhances the technical quality of IFAD's operations. It plays a critical role in providing technical expertise to operational teams to enhance development effectiveness by generating and disseminating IFAD's development knowledge and evidence on strategic themes and encouraging innovative application of cutting-edge global knowledge and evidence in IFAD investments to support countries tackle their most complex development challenges in fostering inclusive and sustainable rural transformation. SKD is composed of the (i) Environment, Climate, Gender and Social Inclusion Division (ECG); the (ii) Sustainable Production, Markets and Institutions Division (PMI); and the (iii) Research and Impact Assessment Division (RIA).
RIA plays a key role in generating rigorous evidence and insights to support decision-making, to contribute to more effective projects and to strengthen IFAD's capacity to influence dialogue on rural development globally by systematically assessing the impact of IFAD investments and through research analyzing the context in which IFAD operates. Working with partners inside IFAD and externally, RIA conducts research on relevant themes, such as agricultural and rural transformation, economic mobility and social inclusion, environment and resilience. It also supports innovative agricultural research topics through the Agriculture Research for Development (AR4D) financing window.
Since 2018, IFAD/RIA has been a partner on the 50x2030 Initiative to Close the Agricultural Data Gap, a $500 million initiative to address the problem of agricultural data availability and use. IFAD, the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), and the World Bank are the three implementing agencies to execute the work under the Initiative. IFAD leads the Data Use Component and all activities under it.
The Technical Analyst works on the 50x2030 Initiative work programme under the overall strategic, policy and management guidance, and supervision of the 50x2030 Data Use Cluster Lead/Lead Technical Specialist. As an integral member of delivery teams, s/he works collaboratively with the Technical Specialists, Country Directors (CD)/Country Programme Managers (CPM), Hub Heads and other staff to ensure consistency, cohesion and synergy in the application of technical advice and provision of programme development support. The Data Use Component of the initiative is critical to building the capacity of participant countries to manage self-sustaining agricultural data programs.
Key results expected / Major functional activities
1. STRATEGIC PLANNING AND IMPLEMENTATION OF THE 50X2030 INITIATIVE DATA USE WORK PROGRAMME: The Analyst is responsible for providing input and writing analytical and strategic documents to support all aspects of the development of activities under the Data Use Component of the 50x2030 Initiative. S/he will work with a small team to support the preparation of strategic planning providing internal documents, writing technical papers and reports to implement the Data Use work programme.
- Supporting the development of the 50x2030 Data Use component's annual work plan and multi-year work plans and ensuring their update;
- Contributing in the design of country-level plans for data use activities and coordinating them with the overarching Data Use component's work plan;
- Supporting the coordination of planning and the implementation of projects with the other Initiative partners, FAO and the World Bank; and
- Supporting monitoring and reporting activities, including the development and refinement of outcomes, indicators, means of verification - this should be done in close collaboration with other 50x2030 implementing agencies involved in measuring impact.
2. STRATEGY AND PROJECT DESIGN: The Analyst provides substantial contribution to the design of country-level pilot projects in a number of countries across Africa, Asia, the Middle East, Latin America and the Caribbean to test various approaches to promoting data use in pilot countries. S/he will compile and analyse the data and other information necessary for the preparation of technical studies and proposals in the area, participating in fact-finding and missions and other activities in support of the 50x2030 Initiative work programme. Accountabilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Supporting assessments of country conditions to inform project design;
- Supporting the development of joint program implementation plans for promoting data use with partner country and partner implementing agency staff;
- Contributing to the design of pilot activities to promote data use, including technical assistance, training programs, and workshops in partner countries;
- Collecting and analyzing data and information about pilot project implementation to document and understand successes and failures; and
- Supporting the coordination of the relevant knowledge development and dissemination with institutions outside of IFAD within partner countries, disseminating knowledge and lessons learned with outside partners and stakeholders through publication of Occasional Papers, journal articles, seminars and workshops, through electronic media and the development of new knowledge products and operational tools that are informed by learning from the field.
3. PARTNERSHIP DEVELOPMENT AND RESOURCE MOBILIZATION: The Analyst contributes to cultivate and maintain partnerships with a variety of organizations to further the work under the Data Use Component of the 50x2030 Initiative. S/he supports the team in identifying opportunities to link 50x2030 data use activities to similar efforts implemented or supported by other partners (e.g. IFPRI's Regional Strategic Analysis and Knowledge Support System, FAO's Monitoring and Analysing Food and Agricultural Policies project, etc.). Accountabilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Building partnerships with centers of excellence, complementary technical organizations and specialized departments of other development institutions (including United Nations agencies, International Financial Institutions, bilateral cooperation agencies, non-governmental organizations, and others) as strategic partners;
- Maintaining networks with partner government staff, policy makers, researchers, and civil society for enhanced knowledge exchange, including training workshops and seminars;
- Identifying resource partners and opportunities for collaboration and supporting actions to develop collaboration.
4. KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT AND COMMUNICATION: The Analyst develops peer contacts inside and outside of IFAD to keep up-to-date on activities related to 50X30 initiative at the country and regional level. S/he supports the team in building partnerships with centers of excellence, complementary technical organizations and specialized departments of other development agencies as strategic partners.
- Supporting intelligence gathering and analysis of information relevant to data use and facilitates knowledge sharing experiences within SKD, IFAD and other stakeholders in the global area;
- Contributing to the drafting of documents that promote awareness of the Initiative, findings of data use pilot projects, and progress on project implementation.
- Participating in IFAD-wide thematic discussions and developing appropriate technical and operation approaches of relevance to the country/divisional strategies and programmes.
- Planning learning events to strengthen IFAD's knowledge and capacity to engage in global debates with policy implications for rural transformation; and
5. COORDINATION UNDER THE 50X2030 INITIATIVE: As part of a multi-partner initiative, the Analyst supports the Data Use Programme Manager to coordinate the Data Use work programme with other Initiative activities implemented by the World Bank and FAO and communicates with FAO and World Bank counterparts who work on related Initiative activities at a headquarters level to develop joint work plans and plan for country-level work.
- Attending and representing IFAD in coordination meetings;
- Supporting monitoring and reporting for the Initiative's monitoring and evaluation system that tracks outputs, outcomes, and objectives under the Initiative's results framework;
- Providing inputs to annual, semi-annual, and ad hoc performance and financial reports; and
- Contributing to joint publications and guidance documents for the Initiative.
Impact of Key results / Key performance indicators
The key results of the duties performed by the Technical Analyst (Economist) contributes to ensuring the quality and relevance of the background research for SKD's programme. S/he conducts technical analysis and synthesis of information and data, including database management, and creates the foundation for IFAD's decision-making and quality of policy and SKD's programme. The work requires good technical analysis and the capacity to apply conceptual models and policy frameworks.
Representation / Work relationships
The work relationships of the Analyst (Economist) at this level are primarily with other members on his/her team, the extended RIA Division, in-country project staff, with partner government staff, and staff from partner implementing agencies. S/he will interact with those contacts via in-person, email, and phone communication, gathering and analyzing of information. Thematic assignments may also include identifying reliable sources and establishing guidelines for obtaining information with a corporate specific focus.
- Strategic thinking and organizational development: Personal influence (Level 1)
- Demonstrating Leadership: Leads by example; initiates and supports change (Level 1)
- Focusing on clients: Contributes to a client-focused culture (level 1)
- Problem solving and decision making: Solves complex problems and makes decisions that have wider corporate impact (Level 1)
- Managing time, resources and information: Coordinates wider use of time, information and/or resources (Level 1)
- Team Work: Fosters a cohesive team environment (Level 1)
- Communicating and negotiating: Acquires and uses a wide range of communication styles and skills (Level 1)
- Building relationships and partnerships: Builds and maintains strategic partnerships internally and externally (Level 1)
- Managing performance and developing staff: Manages staff and teams effectively (Level 1)
- Demonstrated understanding of issues related to rural and agricultural development.
- Proven ability to provide input into strategic planning in a development institution.
- Demonstrated ability to succinctly and clearly write technical output for a non-technical audience.
- Clear aptitude in synthesizing technical papers found in the development literature.
- Proven capacity to write and finalize papers, reports, briefs and blogs based on analytical information.
- Advanced knowledge of Stata or similar statistical package.
- Advanced knowledge of NVivo or similar qualitative analysis package.
- Ability to represent IFAD as a technically competent, trusted and reliable partner
Minimum recruitment qualifications
- Advanced university degree in economics, agricultural and resource economics or related fields, PhD is an asset.
- At least two (2) years of substantive and sustained work experience in development economics, in the formulation of technical guidance and input to development programmes, and/or in international policy frameworks related to global issues.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English. Working knowledge of another official language (Arabic, French, or Spanish) is desirable.
In accordance with IFAD's Human Resources Policy, staff are subject to the authority of the President who can decide to assign them to any of the activities of the Fund. All International Professional staff members are required to be geographically mobile and positions in the professional category are subject to changes in location at any time in line with strategic priorities and reform initiatives in IFAD.
In the interest of making most cost effective use of funds and resources, we are only able to respond to applicants who are short-listed for interview. Candidates who do not receive any feedback within three months should consider their application unsuccessful
Candidates may be required to take a written test and to deliver a presentation as well as participate in interviews.
This is how cinfo can support you in the application process for this specific position:
- Before you apply for this position: Improve your application documents by registering for a Job Application Support.
- When invited to the interview: Prepare for the interview by registering for a Job Application Support. This service is offered free of charge to Swiss nationals.
Interested in a career with multilateral institutions? Read more:
Working with the United Nations
Trovaci su facebook
Working with International Financial Institutions For Swiss nationals