cinfo ricerca GIS Unit Coordinator ricerca P4
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
This position is created within the Emergency Division and reports to the Deputy Director of the Emergency Division.
The Emergency Division (EME) is responsible for enhancing the World Food Programme (WFP) preparedness and response capacity in emergencies, including early warning, preparedness planning, crisis support and information management. As per directive OM 2008/005, EME is also the corporate focal point for GIS related projects and it considered data owner and data steward for relevant geo-referenced data as pertaining to locations.
Under this framework, the GIS Unit within EME gathers data from different sources and manages a network of GIS practitioners in the organization in order to update geo-referenced information required to produce detailed maps and analyses in support of WFP operations. The GIS Unit supports a global network of clients in Headquarters, Regional Bureaux and Country Offices through cutting-edge geospatial information management tools and critical mapping outputs. Diverse datasets are brought together for analysis including food security indicators, environment factors, conflict data, climate data, and weather forecasts. Geospatial analyses enable WFP staff to develop insights into complex dynamics and provide actionable information.
Moreover, the unit is working on several GIS projects to improve GIS capacity and accessibility at all levels in the organization, such as the Automatic Disaster Analysis and Mapping (ADAM) tool, Access Mapping and the Emergency Mapping Kit, a framework to increase readiness of field offices to produce GIS products in support of Emergencies. In addition to this, the unit supports Regional and Country offices with implementation of data preparedness initiatives and with deployment in WFP key-field location the GIS Infrastructure, which consists of the SDI (Spatial Data Infrastructure), a solid framework for the GIS data management dedicated to GIS officer, and the WFPGeoNode, a web portal to manage and share maps, data and trainings.
The incumbent will coordinate the team and he/she will be responsible for managing related activities.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Lead and manage a team of Geospatial experts, develop work plans, set objectives, monitor performance and ensure appropriate development to enable high performance.
- Participate in the formulation and implementation of the Global GIS Strategy;
- Ensure effective design of operational dashboards and relevant products to support decision making.
- Oversee and guide the development, implementation, coordination, and maintenance of GIS standards across the organization;
- Coordinate production and provisioning of maps and GIS analysis to a wide range of customers in WFP and cooperating partners;
- Foster creation of a GIS community in WFP, with the goal of improving information and knowledge sharing;
- Ensure efficient use of financial resources for achievement of set objectives.
- Lead capacity building of WFP staff on all aspects related to Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and Remote Sensing (RS);
- Supervise the management of GIS licenses distribution across the organization (ESRI ELA);
- Coordinate requests and procurement of satellite images in emergency and non-emergency situations;
- Maintain a network with GIS practitioners in partner organizations;
- Evaluate technological advances and promote the usage of appropriate technology;
- When required, carry out field missions to support Country Offices and Regional Bureaux in identifying GIS needs and solutions to cover their requirements as well as provide expertise for the implementation of GIS-related projects.
- Take responsibility for incorporating gender perspective in all areas of work, to ensure equal participation of women and men.
- Other as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Advanced degree in Geography, environmental science, or other relevant fields
- Ph.D. in GIS/Remote sensing is a plus
- Minimum 08 years of relevant professional experience in GIS and remote sensing with increasing responsibilities
- Experience in a humanitarian or development context is a plus
- Minimum 04 years of experience in managing GIS teams
- Experience with working in an international scientific environment
Fluency (level C) in English language. Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish, and/or Portuguese (A WFP's working language)
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Proven knowledge of using GIS in emergency, humanitarian or development operations
- Knowledge of GIS and Remote Sensing software based on the ESRI suite and the GeoNode project
- Proven knowledge of GIS Risk Analysis
- Ability to lead a multidisciplinary and multicultural team in developing and implementing corporate strategies
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing and to translate technical subjects for non-technical staff
- Ability to understand the needs of end-users (particularly those who are field-based) with a client-oriented approach
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The selected candidate will be employed on a fixed term as well as a non-rotational contract with a probationary period of one year.
WFP offers an attractive compensation and benefits package, including basic salary, post adjustment, relocation entitlement, travel and shipment allowances, 30 days' annual leave, home leave, an education grant for dependent children, pension plan and medical insurance. For more details please visit icsc.un.org
This is how cinfo can support you in the application process for this specific position:
- Before you apply for this position: Improve your application documents by registering for a Job Application Support.
- When invited to the interview: Prepare for the interview by registering for a Job Application Support. This service is offered free of charge to Swiss nationals.
Interested in a career with multilateral institutions? Read more:
Working with the United Nations
Trovaci su facebook
Working with International Financial Institutions For Swiss nationals