cinfo ricerca GIS Team Leader ricerca P3
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
This position is created within the GIS Unit of the Emergency Division and reports to the Coordinator of the GIS unit.
The Emergency Division (EME) is responsible for enhancing the World Food Programme (WFP) preparedness and response capacity in emergencies, including early warning, preparedness planning, crisis support and information management. As per directive OM 2008/005, EME is also the corporate focal point for GIS related projects and it considered data owner and data steward for relevant geo-referenced data as pertaining to locations.
Under this framework, the Geographical Information System (GIS) Unit within EME gathers data from different sources and updates geo-referenced information to ensure that WFP is able to create detailed cartography as well as spatial analyses for areas of WFP's interest and to support humanitarian emergencies. Additionally, the team provides mapping support and GIS guidance on data management to WFP offices without proper GIS capacity and to other divisions in WFP.
A dedicated team has been created within the GIS unit to work on geospatial data management, maps production and GIS analysis and to ensure that related standards are recognized and used by all GIS practitioners in the organization.The incumbent will supervise the work of this team and he will act as deputy coordinator of the GIS unit for activities related to Communication and Advocacy, reporting directly to the Coordinator of the GIS Unit.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Lead, develop and motivate the small team in the GIS unit that is responsible for GIS data management, mapping and GIS analysis.
- Contribute and support the GIS coordinator with:
- Project proposals
- Internal/External presentations
- Inter-Agency communications (OCHA, UN GIS, non-UN Agencies, etc)
- Provide support and guidance to GIS colleagues working in Regional Bureaux (RBs) and Country Offices (COs) for the adoption of corporate GIS standards for data sharing and cartography;
- Work in close collaboration with RBs and COs to align activities on corporate spatial data preparedness initiatives;
- Coordinate development and maintenance of tools to automate the collection and dissemination of GIS data (such as OSM data management tools);
- Develop and implement solutions for automated mapping tools (Humanitarian Topographic Atlas)
- During emergencies or when requested by field colleagues, coordinate between WFP COs and satellite data providers, and manage acquisition of satellite images and spatial analyses of areas of interest (i.e. inaccessible areas, areas affected by natural disasters);
- Transpose data from the field and other sources into mapping products;
- Maintain a working library of spatial data and metadata in the WFP Spatial Data Infrastructure (SDI);
- Supply updates to the WFP SDI with focus on WFP thematic data and logistics information;
- When needed, deploy to the field to provide GIS support to emergencies or to specific projects as requested;
- Analyse available web GIS tools and assess the capacity to respond to the users' demand;
- Post content in the GIS page that will be created in the WFP Communities platform;
- When required, support Cartographic map production;
- When requested, represent WFP in conferences and workshops to improve the knowledge about new technologies concerning geographical systems;
- Other as required
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Advanced Degree, preferably in Geographic Information Systems, environmental sciences or related fields
- Minimum of 05 years of progressively responsible professional experience in GIS data management and mapping
- Experience in working on GIS issues in the humanitarian environment is a plus
- Proven experience in working with Server/Tools such as Geoserver, OGC Services, ArcGIS Server, Enterprise, Desktop Geodatabases, PostgreSQL and PostGIS
- Experience with GIS software ArcGIS 10.x, QuantumGIS or other OpenSource software is a plus
Fluency (level C) in English language. Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish, and/or Portuguese (A WFP's working language)
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Working knowledge in the use of the WFP Geonode platform is a plus
- Proven extensive knowledge of OpenStreetMap data structure, processes and related tools (imposm, osm ctools suite)
- Familiarity with python GIS libraries;
- Courtesy, tact and ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The selected candidate will be employed on a fixed term as well as a non-rotational contract with a probationary period of one year.
WFP offers an attractive compensation and benefits package, including basic salary, post adjustment, relocation entitlement, travel and shipment allowances, 30 days' annual leave, home leave, an education grant for dependent children, pension plan and medical insurance. For more details please visit icsc.un.org
This is how cinfo can support you in the application process for this specific position:
- Before you apply for this position: Improve your application documents by registering for a Job Application Support.
- When invited to the interview: Prepare for the interview by registering for a Job Application Support. This service is offered free of charge to Swiss nationals.
Interested in a career with multilateral institutions? Read more:
Working with the United Nations
Trovaci su facebook
Working with International Financial Institutions For Swiss nationals